Kickstart Spring re-manufactured

Any Bikes, Parts or Accessories you are Hunting for, want to Trade or Sell. Post them here........

Kickstart Spring re-manufactured

Postby Collyolly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:17 am

Hi all, recently I needed a replacement kickstart spring for my triple and the only source was to purchase a complete kickstart shaft assembly and nick the spring - cost me £40
I have had a U.K. spring manufacturer quote on supplying a replacement in batches of 10 and 50, price each from a batch of 10 off delivered to you inclusive of V.A.T would be £25 and from the batch of 50 would be £10.
Any interest ?
Collyolly
Inter

Re: Kickstart Spring re-manufactured

Postby SAM » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:58 am

£10 sounds good. I will have one if you get enough interest.
THREES MORE FUN
SAM
Expert

Postby Hal » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:38 pm

That sounds good value to me Collyolly, but I'm a bit surprised you sought this route as it sort of contradicts your stated ethos on those gear sets. Perhaps you are getting braver already? :D :D

Yes I spotted this set of gears last week but one of the numbers is not as per my parts list and is the price too good to be true ?
I hope to go down the route of using original parts rather than risking a copy of unknown quality. ( Maybe I am chicken, but after you !)
Hal
Expert

Postby Collyolly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 pm

You are right about me preferring the original parts but numerous sources say these springs have been unavailable for a long time. The re-manufactured item will be as close as possible to the original, of course it has been assumed that only standard Spring steel has been used and not some sort of unobtainable alloy from 1972 !
As for the gear set, I have now got a set of H1 gears and was ready to use them then the possibility of using original H2 gears came up. If you are able to compare the two sets side by side you will see the H2 teeth are significantly bigger than H1, I can only assume they did this for a reason and since the rest of my box is already undercut and looks mint that's the route I am hoping to take.
( I also reserve the right to change my mind ) :D
Collyolly
Inter

Postby Neil the Don » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am

Collyolly wrote:You are right about me preferring the original parts but numerous sources say these springs have been unavailable for a long time. The re-manufactured item will be as close as possible to the original, of course it has been assumed that only standard Spring steel has been used and not some sort of unobtainable alloy from 1972 !
As for the gear set, I have now got a set of H1 gears and was ready to use them then the possibility of using original H2 gears came up. If you are able to compare the two sets side by side you will see the H2 teeth are significantly bigger than H1, I can only assume they did this for a reason and since the rest of my box is already undercut and looks mint that's the route I am hoping to take.
( I also reserve the right to change my mind ) :D

I would take 10 Collyolly.
Neil the Don
Expert

Postby ACS International » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi, I'd take a couple.
Ade
ACS International
Inter

Postby Norsewood » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:07 am

I'd have a couple at a tenner - always good to have a spare!!
Norsewood
Inter

Postby Aardvark » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:01 pm

I will take 2 please, to help with the numbers and then to have a spare.

Aardvark
Aardvark
Expert

Postby Hobbo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi, I need one for my H2 I am trying to renovate. When and if you get some done please pm me
Cheers
Hobbo
KH400 H1F
Hobbo
Expert

Postby bbb » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Did the kickstart springs get made? If so I’ll have a couple.
Message me please. Bill.
bbb
Expert

Postby Collyolly » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:51 pm

Just to keep everyone who is interested informed I have had an initial meeting with the winding company and placed my order.
I have left them a couple of springs to get tested for Spring rate which should be done this week and then I hope to get a first off for inspection next week with production run to follow on once we are both happy with the product.
Using a spring balance I found the spring rate at the O/D of the spring to be around 3kg per 90dgrees of movement, if anyone else has a spare spring they could check that would be very useful, even a buckled spring would work as the spring rate will not have changed, hopefully the winding company will confirm my findings. ( my test was pretty basic so I would allow a tolerance of + / - 0.5kg and + /- 15 degrees.
Collyolly
Inter

Postby bbb » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:02 pm

I have a N.O.S. spring here, and an old strained one, if you could give me an idea of precisely how you tested it then I will gladly try to replicate your test, a sketch may help.
Regards Bill.
bbb
Expert

Postby BIG H » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:06 pm

FYI, Diablo Cycle do a repro spring,
It would be about £50 when you include shipping & import tax.

https://www.diablocycle.com/Kawasaki-H1 ... 1-021.html
BIG H
Expert

Postby Collyolly » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:52 pm

To test the spring I had it mounted on the kickstart shaft with the shaft held steady in a vice ( obviously out of the engine )
I then attached my spring balance to the free end of the spring and pulled in the direction of rotation until 90 degrees of movement had been achieved. I used an electronic suitcase 'spring balance' as this is designed for weighing up to say 30 kg and should be accurate enough for this.
I tried as best I could to keep the pull perpendicular to the spring winding as any major deviation from this will affect the result.
Hope that helps, I am afraid my technology does not enable me to post pickies !
Collyolly
Inter

Postby Collyolly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Latest update for all interested, I approved the sample last week, spring rate is as per my original parts so very happy with that.
Hoping for production run this week, once I have the parts I will P.M all those who have previously shown interest.
Collyolly
Inter

Postby bill p » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:31 pm

id be interested in one for a spare if theres any left please
cheers bill
bill p

Postby Haggis » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi. You can put me down for 1
Cheers
Haggis

Postby Collyolly » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Collected my batch of springs today and they look superb. I will try to sort out the list of customers tomorrow and send everyone a P.M. with my details, hopefully you will all be happy with sending me cash in an envelope with you details.
I have no other facilities for taking payment and I am not an online banker so don't want to wait until my next bank statement before I send out the goodies !
So, 1 spring £10 note, 2 springs £20 note please don't ask for discount as that would be rude. :D
Collyolly
Inter

Postby Collyolly » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am

P.M's now sent to everyone who said they were interested.
Collyolly
Inter

Return to Swap, Sell or Wanted