NOT The Royal Wedding ride out 19th May

Post Anything & Everything about Events, Shows & Rallies inside or outside the UK.....

NOT The Royal Wedding ride out 19th May

Postby Wolfie » Sun May 06, 2018 6:44 am

OK so the Ginger one has gone and done it this time, that sounds like a(nother) good excuse to get out and have a ride around while 50% of the country is glued to their box. And as a bonus this time round, it's also FA Cup final day to so that's the other 50% stuck inside too. The roads should be empty.

A good time to revive the popular "Not the Royal wedding ride out" then, back by popular demand.

It's a good old romp around Yorkshire and the Pennines then over to the dark side, a fair old Trek for us Easties.

First meet up point for us Easties will be at Redbeck Cafe (Doncaster Road) Wakefield, Skirt around Wake and via Grange moor to Huddersfield and join the A642 New Hey Road then stop at Buck Stones car park to meet up with any Westies

Then over to the dark side at Denshaw and head South to Stalybridge, I'm still looking for somewhere interesting or Bikey to stop for a proper break (There is a big Wok at Joddrell Bank not too far hence). Does anyone know anywhere else over there?

Then we can take the Woodhead pass back to the light side, this is a great road for bikes, especially if it is quiet.

And at the Yorkshire end we can return via Jackson Bridge and Shepley, Shelley and Emley back to Wakefield.

It looks like a fair old trek but we have all day (and night).

Please note this is NOT a Club ride out, just an excuse for us to burn some rubber instead of watching a boring wedding.
As usual, all plans are weather dependent.

Come on guys, who is fed up with weddings and football already? Come on out, you know you want to.
Wolfie MBE (Motor Bike Enthusiast)
I used to be a werewolf but I'm alright nooooowwwwwww!!
Wolfie
Site Admin

Location: North, South or East Yorks. We're the Elawi. (Selby)

Re: NOT The Royal Wedding ride out 19th May

Postby malc87 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:39 am

Speak to bill bristow, he is in staleybridge Thumbs Up
malc87
Expert

Postby malc87 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:41 am

malc87 wrote:Speak to bill bristow, he is in staleybridge Thumbs Up

Or if you fancy doing another 20 miles you can come to mine for a brew and view all the scrap as i WONT be watching the wedding or the Fa cup final! :roll:
malc87
Expert

Postby Wolfie » Sun May 06, 2018 7:58 am

malc87 wrote:Speak to bill bristow, he is in staleybridge Thumbs Up

Aye lad I had already considered a PM to Bill.

malc87 wrote:if you fancy doing another 20 miles you can come to mine for a brew and view all the scrap as i WONT be watching the wedding or the Fa cup final! :roll:

You could pick us up and ride us in then.. lest we find nothing else.

Would you be a dear and post the event on the FB page please? :D or just a note pointing people to the Forum
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby scouse » Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 pm

What's the start time?
Gary T
Boffin in a coffin
scouse
Expert

Postby Wolfie » Tue May 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Expected to be around half 9 or 10ey at Redbeck.. but not fixed any times just yet in case some folks have limiting factors.

Are you (and Jo) coming along Gaz? Greg and Stacey are making the right noises.

I just spoke to BBB Bill at length, our pit stop at Grandpa Greene's in Digley gets his thumb up. Despite how it looks they do do coffees and other refreshmentstoo,

However Bill recommended the Snake pass then Strines Moor in favour of the Woodhead pass. Slightly further but a much better ride.
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby Wolfie » Thu May 10, 2018 2:13 pm

I've ridden some of the way on Google erf, and even some of the bits I thought were built up are long straight country roads in parts.. a bit built up around Stalybridge then Glossop, then it's (hilly) countryside again.

I really do hope that weather favours us, I'm reet looing forward to this now.
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby Wolfie » Sun May 13, 2018 9:41 pm

OK so it's a later set off..

11:00 at Redbeck Cafe, Doncaster Road, Wakefield, all other times will just follow on from there.

Denby Dale Road, Midgley, Grange Moor, Kirkheaton, Cooper Bridge, Ainley Top, Outlane to Buckstones, STOP.

Denshaw, Delph, Uppermill, Diggle, to Granpa Greenes, STOP.

Mossley, Stalybridge, Mottram, Glossop, Snake Pass to Ladybower, STOP.

Strines Moor, Stocksbridge, Deepcarr, Wortley, Shepley, Emley then back to Wake..

The forecast at the moment is looking good.

Whos coming? You'll miss out! There are some classic biking roads on this route,

But you would rather watch some poor Ginger lad getting hitched? I ask you..
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby scouse » Mon May 14, 2018 9:45 pm

OK finish work at 10.30 (hopefully)
Despite being within spitting distance of redbeck, I'll have to ride home, pick Jo up and Ian Barker, so might be a bit late at redbeck, Greg has got his house finished down South so I'm hoping they will both be coming.
Snake pass is a fun road (even if it's now a 50 & you can bet your bottom dollar that the speed cameras will be out in force on the pass. So we need to keep to 50
Gary T
Boffin in a coffin
scouse
Expert

Postby Wolfie » Tue May 15, 2018 6:40 am

Is Ian coming too? great, aven't seen the old duffer for quite some time.

I'll be almost passing your place. Greg and Stacey will be passing too no doubt. There's bound to be a spare seat between us.

The pre meet up point could be at yours..
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby Wolfie » Tue May 15, 2018 6:42 am

Hopefully all the coppers will be down in Windsor crowd watching..
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby Wolfie » Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger and BUGGER!

Giving the H2 a bit of a clean up and sorting an annoying oil leak she's had for a while, I stripped the fking drain plug this evening, and just 4 days to go..

Ordering an M12 x 1.25 Helicoil set online is gonna take until Thurs/Fri possibly leaving just hours to do the deed. I don't currently know any where locally to buy one over the counter but the internet is my friend. Proper Timesert sets are over £100!

Does anyone know any quick workarounds? I tried PTFE tape but I'm not happy since it still won't tighten firmly.

I have a standby S1 which has no MOT but within hours of the Rideout it will no longer need one. it has also had some major engine surgery over the last 18months but hasn't had any proper shakedown miles put on yet and it'll be a bit of a steady ride for the bigger lads, it might have to do though.

So guys, what are my quick options?? Anyone have any temporary but secure fixes?
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby Mitsui Spy » Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Easy piss. Fit a 1/2" UNF plug. 0.52 x 20 tpi converts to 12.7mm x 1.27mm slightly oversize with almost exactly the right pitch. Want me to see if I have one?
Mitsui Spy
Expert

Postby Wolfie » Wed May 16, 2018 6:33 am

Thanks James, that would be great, and you're not too far out of the way home. I daresay any old (short) bolt will get me rolling again, it already dripped so no great shakes if it still does.

What a Top Man eh? Thumbs Up

I have an M12 Helicoil set here at work but it's coarse of course, looking on eBay there's a kit in Edenthorpe which could also be on the way home given a substantial detour.
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby H2R » Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 am

First of all I'd drill the drain plug ready to wire it up.

Depending on how bad/good the remaining threads in the case are, you could carefully wrap a small amount of wire wool around the drain plug threads, with/without your chosen sealant, and then slowly screw the drain plug in and see if it's enough to tighten up properly. It often is and works as a very temporary measure.

But be sure to wire up the drain plug. If it comes out completely you'll lose all oil, often right on to the rear tyre, and if you then stay on long enough it will damage the gearbox ...

I my view a last resort fix, and better than nothing, but perhaps not worth risking a treasured bike for.
It's a great life if you don't weaken. Until I am dead, I am alive. Standstill is lethal. Die strong!
H2R
Expert

Postby Wolfie » Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 am

Cheers guys, I'm still looking at various options, it may be that the hole is already too big for an M12 fine helicoil, measuring the plug it is bigger than 12mm (around 12.5mm)and the thread pitch appears to be 18TPI (or close) nowhere close to any Metric thread.

I could buy a new Plug in a metric size they seem to come in 12 or 14mm. then (helicoil or) drill and tap to suit.

But I am visiting James this afternoon he has a workshop at his disposal.. when the tide is out. :D
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby Wolfie » Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am

H2R wrote:But be sure to wire up the drain plug. If it comes out completely you'll lose all oil, often right on to the rear tyre, and if you then stay on long enough it will damage the gearbox ...

I reckon it wouldn't damage anything internally in the few seconds it would take me to shit myself and/or pull up/fall off. :D
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby Wolfie » Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm

That awfully nice Mitsui James came up with a repair plan, and so for the moment we are "game on" for Saturday.

He measured the outcoming Plug, obviously not an original item and it looked like a 'something' BSP size. Grrr

No matter what I do it's never going to fit again, so James sent me home with a couple of Taps to wind out the hole by hand to 14mm and cut new threads at the same time, he also made up a new drain plug for me to the Tap size, 14mm.
I can buy a proper one later.

Having put a huge blob of grease on the Tap to trap the aluminium swarf, my first problem was that whilst doing the first tap on the hole, it stopped dead and the new thread stripped straight out... Grrrrr.

Putting a light up the hole showed that there is an off centre edge where a repair patch sits (misaligned) over the original hole in the casing, it will need drilling out which is a bit more serious than just Tapping a thread so I won't be hanging upside down to do that one.

Anyhow I did manage to get a secure thread in there and in went the plug with two Dowty washers to fill in the empty space where the plug is slightly too long and sticks when it reaches the ledge, It's not pretty but it feels well secure for now and so far there's not a single drip under the bike..

James made up a luvly plug but "Can you tell what it is yet?"

IMAG0422s.png

IMAG0425s.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby Wolfie » Thu May 17, 2018 7:10 am

James!

If you have CCTV on the yard, just take a look at my exit from your gate, you could get £250 from YBF!
:D
Wolfie
Site Admin

Postby Mitsui Spy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 am

I'm guessing you tripped over the bottom bar of the gate then. Hope you're okay.

You're not the first and won't be the last. A couple of years ago a guy came round selling old aerial photos and he had one of my yard. It was all nicely framed and he wanted £40 for it. I did like the photo but wasn't going to pay forty quid so said 'Thanks but no thanks'. As he left he tripped over the gate bar, went headlong and smashed the glass and photo frame. I went over, helped him up and dusted him down. He had a few minor cuts. He looked at the smashed picture on the floor and said 'fiver?'
Yard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mitsui Spy
Expert

Next

Return to Rallies, Shows & Events